Sunday, November 20, 2011

Natural Disasters

Studying natural disasters help students to understand what they are, the potential damage they can do, and how unpredictable they can be.  It is also a chance to teach students how to relate to other people that have been affected by natural disasters and then ideally to get students thinking about what they can do to help people in need after a natural disaster.  To get students to want to help others, I think first you need to teach the science behind what happened and get them to have a good understanding of the scientific content.  Next move instruction into how it has affected the people in the region of the natural disaster.  I think students need to see model teacher behavior by seeing the teacher concerned and helping the affected area.  Discuss with students how good it feels to help someone and that giving away something to someone in need has a tremendous internal reward.  My students are fourth graders and I think it is important that they know the reality of life about  natural disasters in terms of how unpredictable they are.  Natural disasters can happen anywhere at any time.  It is a fine line because I do not want to scare students, yet I do want to expose them to what happens when an area is damaged due to a natural disaster.  I would connect students to a community organization about relief efforts by having someone from the Red Cross come in and explain how people of all ages can help their organization.  To take it to the next level, the class could brainstorm and decide on a plan that they could implement to help the area that has been affected by the natural disaster.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Julie

    I agree that natural disasters are very important for students to research. Natural disasters are wonderful science projects since they use the scientific method to solve problems and learn about weather and natural disasters. I think the public and my students are intrigued about natural disasters. With 2012 inching nearer, students want to know about Armogeddon and the end of the world. How could you get your students to help prepare for a natural disaster? One site I found that could help with information about Armageddon 2012 is Armageddon Online.

    Thanks, Adam

    Resources

    Armageddon Online. Retrieved fromhttp://www.armageddononline.org/2012.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how much time I would spend discussing and researching Armogeddon with my fourth grade students. I would not want to scare them. In addition there is not any research with evidence that would support that an end to the world is coming anytime soon. However, I do see the benefit of looking into web sites that provide information on a topic that there is high interest and sorting through and analyzing the data that you find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,

    I agree that as teachers of younger students we do have to walk a fine line in educating them about natural disasters without unduly scaring them. I teach Kindergarten through 2nd grade science and my students are very curious about natural disasters such as tsunamis and tornadoes but I find myself a little conflicted about how much to actually tell them as I don't want them to be terrified. For some kids, some information seems to be too much. Do you have any suggestions?

    Thanks!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also believe that it is important for students to learn that one small effort on their part can make a big difference in the lives of others. I agree that once students do something for others, they see how good it makes them feel and encourages them to continue to do good works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much information is the right amount to present to students about natural disasters? I think as an educator, you need to introduce the science and then slowly add the destructive forces that can occur at any time. In addition, it is critical to reflect on questions students have and answer them the best way you can without scaring them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    I think that it is very difficult to determine what information to present to students on natural disasters in terms of the human factor, as the response varies greatly by student; some are ready to process the information in a healthy way, while others are not (for various reasons).

    I do think that having the students help with relief efforts is one way to slowly introduce students to the idea that natural disasters can happen and leave people in need. For example, a food or clothing drive can help students begin to understand that there are people who need food and clothes because of the natural disaster.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete